What Is an SHL Verify Test?
A CEB SHL Verify test is an online aptitude test administered at the beginning of the recruitment process. This test has two parts:
- SHL Verify Ability Test – an online, unsupervised test. It is most commonly used to screen out poor performers during the initial stages of the recruitment process. One or more Verify tests will appear on your candidate page on the CEB SHL Talent Measurement testing site. You are given a date by which you need to complete these tests. The tests are either delivered through CEB SHL directly or through third party vendors.
- SHL Verify Verification Test – if your score on the Verify Ability Test exceeded a pre-determined cut-score, you qualify to the next stage of the recruitment process which occurs at an SHL assessment centre or the employer's headquarters. Going there, you are requested to take a second supervised ‘verify’ test to vouch for the integrity of your results.
What Types of Tests Can I Expect to Take?
You can expect to take one or more of the following tests depending on the job for which you are applying.
CEB SHL has content-specific questions for different industries and job types. Of the 10,000 Verify Tests administered daily, the majority are Numerical, Verbal and Inductive Reasoning. Checking and Calculating tests are more specific to administrative and clerical roles. Mechanical Comprehension tests are more specific to engineering and technical positions. All tests are multiple-choice and are timed. Your rank determines the difficulty level of the Verify tests you would be required to take – the higher your job level, the more difficult your questions will be.
SHL Verify Scores
- SHL Verify Ability Test scores – Your scores are compared to those of others on similar job levels and similar companies in certain industries (e.g. Banking, Retail, Engineering, Public Sector, etc.). Your score is displayed to the employer as a percentile – the percentage of candidates in the comparison group who scored less than you. If you have passed the pass-score determined by the employer, you will continue to the next stage of the recruitment process. Read detailed information about SHL Verify test scores and results.
- SHL Verify Verification Test results – You will not get another grade on most of these tests. Rather, your tests will be graded Verified or Not Verified. However, on Deductive and Spatial Reasoning Tests you will get another grade on your verification test.
Preparing for the Verify Tests
Verify tests assess underlying skills and competencies which can be improved through training. JobTestPrep offers a full spectrum of CEB SHL-style aptitude test training, including practice tests with feedback reports and itemised explanations.
SHL Verify General Ability Screen
This test measures general cognitive abilities of the following types:
- Understanding written passages (verbal reasoning)
- Performing basic math calculations
- Identifying patterns in sequences of shapes (inductive reasoning)
- Draw logical conclusions (deductive reasoning)
This test is used for entry level jobs in operational jobs and when the required cognitive ability is basic. This test is only used for screening purposes and does not replace any of the specific tests.
Tips on CEB's SHL-Style Tests
CEB, SHL, and other trademarks are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with JobTestPrep or this website.