Learn About SHL's Critical Reasoning Test Battery and Supervisor Tests
Recruiters use the SHL Critical Reasoning Test Battery (SHL CRT battery) to assess candidates for supervisory and junior managerial roles. Find out which tests are included and which skills are required, and get tips and free advice from JobTestPrep's team to succeed.
The full scope of CEB's SHL junior managerial and supervisor tests
|SHL-Style CRTB Practice|
57 SHL-style CRTB online tests: verbal, numerical, inductive, mechanical and spatial reasoning!
- The SHL CRT Battery (aptitude tests)
- The SHL Supervisor Tests Solution (psychometric tests)
The SHL Critical Reasoning Test BatteryThe CRT battery is comprised of the following steps that we will explain below:
At first, you will be asked to sit a series of Verify Tests. These tests will be administered online and then verified by a shorter version of the test at the assessment centre.
The Verify Tests in the CRT battery are:
- Numerical Reasoning (verify) – measures your ability to interpret numerical data shown in tables and graphs. The online version includes 18 questions and 17-25 minutes. The verification version includes 10 questions and 14-15 minutes.
- Verbal reasoning (verify) – measures your ability to interpret written information. Each question includes a passage and a statement. You need to decide whether the statement is true, false, or impossible to determine according to the passage. The online version includes 30 questions and 17-19 minutes and the verification version includes 18 questions and 11 minutes.
- Inductive reasoning (verify) – measures your ability to identify relationships between shapes in sequences or matrices. The online version includes 24 questions in 25 minutes and the verification version includes 7 questions in 7 minutes.
- Mechanical Comprehension (verify) – this test will be administered if the job you applied to has some mechanical or technical aspects (construction supervisory, mining supervisory etc.). This test measures your ability to understand basic mechanical principles (gears, levers, cogwheels etc.). Each question includes a diagram and a question about it.
- Interpreting Data (NC 2.3) – a numerical ability test which measures your ability to answer questions based on numerical data which is given verbally or in a table or a graph. 30 minutes, 40 questions.
- Verbal Evaluation (VC 1.3) – a verbal ability test which measures your ability to interpret written information in contexts relevant to supervisory and junior management.
- Diagrammatic Series (DC 3.1) – measures your ability to identify relationships between shapes. Each question includes a sequence of shapes. You are required to understand the logic behind the order of the shapes and choose a shape that best completes the sequence. All tests are comprised of multiple choice questions.
In general, CEB's SHL sends a PDF file that contains explanations about the battery and gives a few example questions. Nevertheless, this material is insufficient. The example questions are few, and are much easier than the real test questions. To help you reach your full potential on the SHL CRT Battery, JobTestPrep's team has developed a Critical Reasoning Test Battery practice pack that addresses all these topics.
The SHL Supervisor Test SolutionThis solution helps employers decide whether a candidate has the personality traits that fit the role of supervising. This solution is comprised of two parts:
- Screening – the measured characteristics are: deductive reasoning ability, management potential, thoroughness, reliability, achievement, innovation, influence and independence. This stage contains up to 175 multiple choice items which you need to complete in 53 minutes.
- Selection – the measured characteristics are: coaching and development, deductive reasoning ability, prioritising, monitoring, decision making and professional potential. This stage contains up to 61 multiple choice items which you need to complete in 58 minutes. Following this assessment, the employer will receive a report that grades you as low, medium or high on each of these six traits.
These assessments are comprised of 3 types of questions:
- Multiple choice deductive reasoning questions - you are required to choose the only correct answer.
- Different kinds of personality and psychometric multiple choice questions. There are no exclusively correct answers here. You need to choose the answer that is most suitable to you. Read more about SHL personality test.
- Questions that display video scenarios relevant to supervisory work and require you to choose the most effective and the least effective response to the situation, out of four options. These questions usually appear on SHL Situational Judgement Tests.
Tips on CEB's SHL-style Tests
Return to the main SHL page.
Back to top
JobTestPrep is not a part of CEB or SHL and is not related to these trademarks in any way. JobTestPrep offers preparation services for psychometric tests.
Free Psychometric TestsFree SHL-style NumericalFree Verbal Reasoning
SHL-style Numerical Graduate
"JTP was really useful to make practice for reasoning tests and increase our confidence. I will definitely recommend to practice such tests before appearing for final examination test."
"I was really glad that I prepared with your package."