Prepare for Civil Service Fast Stream: Assessment Centre Exercises and Interview
Have you gotten an invite to the Civil Service Fast Stream assessment centre (FASC)? This is one of the longer assessment centres, running from 8:30 in the morning to 6:00 in the evening. There are many activities that you face throughout this assessment centre and JobTestPrep can help you prepare for the day.
The Civil Service Fast Stream Assessment Centre contains the following exercises:
|Excel Your Interview Skills|
Get expert feedback on your interview performance with our smart and simple online service
Civil Service Assessment Centre CompetenciesThe Civil Service Fast Stream Assessment Centre takes place in London. Across all activities the Civil Service looks for particular competencies. The competencies for the Civil Service assessment centre are:
- Seeing the big picture – Focusing your contribution on the activities in order to meet the Civil Service goals.
- Changing and improving – You have to be open to change and be able to suggest ideas where you think that the company will grow.
- Making effective decisions – You have to be objective and show clarity of thought making reasoned choices and decisions.
- Leading and communicating – You should show that you can lead from the front with the ability to explain things to the other team members.
- Collaborating and partnering – You need to be able to work with any person you encounter with the goal of improving and doing the best job possible.
- Building capacity for all – You need to always strive to improve your skill set.
- Managing a quality service – Reacting to the needs of the customer, even if this means going outside your comfort zone.
- Delivering at pace – Timely delivery whilst taking responsibility and accountability for the delivery of high quality results.
- Achieving commercial outcomes – You must show a long term focus, ensuring that service is given and you are working towards economic growth.
- Delivering value for money – You must be able to make decisions based on the research where value for money is at the forefront of your decisions.
These competencies will be assessed throughout the assessment day. It is therefore imperative to try and incorporate them into your actions and ensure that you have full knowledge of them. Doing so puts you in good stead to do well throughout this full day assessment centre.
Back to top
Fast Track Group ExerciseThis group exercise is an assigned group exercise. This means that each candidate is given a unique role in the group exercise. You are given a brief that pertains to a particular government objective. There are a few different proposals available and you are given one of these to represent. For example, you may be given the scenario where there is a problem in a particular area of flooding. There are four proposals available including the construction of a flood defence wall and building a dam. You are given details of cost, time to complete the project and other important details of the potential project. You have 30 minutes to read through your brief and come up with a plan of action detailing the strengths of your proposal over the others. You then have to argue your case with the other members of the group for 15 minutes.
In this group exercise you have to demonstrate that you make effective decisions, work collaboratively, show leadership, communicate effectively and deliver value for money. Learn how we can help you prepare for group exercises.
Back to top
Civil Service Written ExerciseIn this exercise you are given a brief that presents a specific problem or desire of the UK Government. There are two possible projects that you have to decide which of them is deserving of the funding you have available. You have to create a balanced assessment of the project you choose and a reason why this is the best choice. Particularly relevant for this task is the competency of “value for money”. You must demonstrate a full understanding of the subject providing a detailed analysis of the points in question. You can use the figures available to your advantage by creating percentages of different aspects of the potential project.
As well as writing this report, you also need to write a letter to a stakeholder, trying to convince them to go with your recommendation. It is suggested that you use the last 15 minutes of the 105 minutes total time that you are given to write this letter. In order to write in the correct fashion you need to be able to construct your writing in the correct way with an introduction, main section detailing the vital points of your analysis, and a conclusion where you summarise what you have written.
Back to top
Leadership Exercise/ Case Study and Role PlayIn this 30 minute exercise you are given a brief pertaining to a particular project that you are expected to lead. You are given approximately 20 minutes to read through the brief and prepare an oral presentation of sorts to the assessor. By this we mean that you are going to enter a discussion whereby you present your opinion explaining how you are going to lead the team and the various issues that you expect to come up. After this question and answer session with the assessor who plays the role of a senior manager you will be asked to complete a short self-review form. This exercise is designed to test you against the competency “building capacity for all”. See how we can help you prepare for this case study exercise.
Back to top
Civil Service InterviewThe final assessment at the Civil Service Fast Track assessment centre is the interview. This is a one-to-one competency based interview and should last about 40 minutes. Ahead of your interview, you are advised to think of examples of how you have demonstrated the competencies the Civil Service looks for, in particular your ability to build productive relationships and your ability to learn and develop.
Some Civil Service interview questions include:
- When have you worked under pressure?
- How do you motivate yourself?
- Tell me about a time when you showed integrity.
- How have you faced adversity and showed objectivity?
- When have you had to adapt to a difficult situation?
- Tell me about a time you showed leadership skills.
- Tell me about a time you have had to learn new skills.
- Tell me about a time you have achieved the desired result.
- Can you tell me about a time when you shown value for money?
This interview is conducted by a trained Civil Service assessor and they will try their best to put you at ease whilst at the same time coaxing the best information out of you. From your end, make sure that you have fully understood the job specifications and what you are actually applying for. There will be questions regarding each of the key competencies that we listed above so make sure you are fully acquainted with them and have examples attesting to your previous usage of them. When answering these questions, it is best to do so in the STAR method as this gives a full picture of your skills in the best possible light.
The best way to prepare for the Civil Service interview is to actually have one. You can do this with a helpful friend but there is a serious flaw in this method as first of all you may not get the correct questions asked and secondly you will not receive expert feedback that is necessary in order to improve your performance. This is why at JobTestPrep we have an interview package that is a great way to fully prepare yourself for the interview.
Back to top
Start Practising For Success!The Civil Service Fast Stream is your fast track to the Civil Service. As we have seen, there are many different stages to the Civil Service recruitment process, each assessing you against a specific set of skills and in a variety of ways. Preparation is key to progressing through the stages, and with our help at JobTestPrep you can be assured that you are performing to your best. We look forward to helping you get through your application, Good luck!
Free Aptitude Tests
Cubiks-style Practice Tests
"Thank you for your prompt response and excellent service. All types of questions were included in the sample test."
"Your products increased my score a lot in the test."