EU Function Groups and Levels - EPSO Test
Finding out which EPSO tests that you have to take for the different positions in the EU can be very confusing. We have therefore prepared this page listing the different function groups and the different levels in the EPSO competitions.
The European Union is a vast organisation covering all aspects of European life. For this reason there are many different councils and commissions dealing with the running of the many different European countries. All of the below require candidates to pass the EPSO tests and in almost every situation you will also face an EPSO assessment centre. For information on upcoming EPSO competitions for both assistant and administrator level see our blog.
Practice EU Tests for AST and AD levels.
From £49 (~67€)
- The European Commission
- The European Parliament
- The Council of the European Union
- Court of Justice of the European Union
- European Court of Auditors
- European Economic and Social Committee
- Committee of the Regions
- European Ombudsman
- European Data Protection Supervisor
- The European External Action Service
Although not under the umbrella of EPSO tests, there are a number of other organisations in the EU including the European Central Bank, the European Investment Bank and the European Investment Fund. These have their own, independent recruitment processes.
AST Function GroupThere are 11 different levels in this function group. Rather arbitrarily called AST 1 to AST 11. They are in fact split into five separate groups. These are:
- AST 1-2: Filing clerks, technical attendants, IT attendants, Parliamentary ushers.
- AST 3-4: Junior clerks, junior documentalists, junior technicians, and junior IT operatives.
- AST 5-6: Clerks, documentalists, technicians, and IT operatives.
- AST 7-8: Senior clerks, senior documentalists, senior technicians, and senior IT operatives.
- AST 9-11: Personal assistants, clerical officer, technical officers, IT officers.
AD Function GroupThe top two positions in the European Union are the Director General levels. These are measured as AD levels 15 and 16. Apart from these two top levels there are six other AD levels that are listed below. They are:
- AD 5-6: Junior positions as translators, interpreters, economists, lawyers, medical officers, veterinary inspectors, scientists, researchers, financial officers, and auditors.
- AD 7-8: Translators, interpreters, economists, lawyers, medical officers, veterinary inspectors, scientists, researchers, financial officers, and auditors.
- AD 9-10: Head of Units and senior positions as translators, interpreters, economists, lawyers, medical officers, veterinary inspectors, scientists, researchers, financial officers, audit officers.
- AD 11-12: Head of Units and Principals as translators, interpreters, economists, lawyers, medical officers, veterinary inspectors, scientists, researchers, financial officers, and audit officers.
- AD 13: Head of Units, Advisers and experts in the fields of economics, legal, lingual, medical, veterinary, scientific, research, financial, and audit.
- AD 14: Directors, Head of units, Advisers and experts in lingual, economics, legalities, medical, veterinary, scientific, research, financial, and in audit.
How can we help?Here at JobTestPrep we provide a full range of resources to help you get through your EU tests, EPSO assessment centre, and other aspects of the EPSO application. To get a view of the different tests that you will have to go through see our EPSO main page. We look forward to helping you in your application to the European Union and wish you every success in achieving your goals.
“ I went to an assessment center in Brussels, and my overall grade was 58.9. The first candidate they took obtained 60.2 for this competition. A pity. Your help was a must to get to the assessment center and to pass on site their e-tray. So thank you so much. If I did not make it this time, it was because of things i could have done better from my end, all tests I studied from your site were of invaluable help. „
AD Level 8 competition, April 2015
EPSO Verbal TipsEPSO Case Study TipsEPSO Sample Test
EU TestsEPSO AD NumericalEPSO AST Numerical
"Your products increased my score a lot in the test."
"I think your material is excellent, especially compared to the one offered by xxx and xxx."