What Is a Strength-Based Interview?
Strength-based interviews focus on what you, as a professional, enjoy doing. This type of interview promotes the idea that you will be doing more of what you're good at versus what you are capable of doing. Moreover, this type of interview is supposed to increase your work flow and drive due to the fact that you are placed into a field or position you enjoy rather than in something that will quickly disinterest you.
Strength-Based Interview Questions and Format
As strength-based interviews focus on what you enjoy, some interview questions may seem askew from other, 'typical' interviews you have encountered in the past. Here are some examples of strength-based interview questions:
- What do you enjoy?
- What are you good at?
- What comes easily to you?
- What gives you motivation and energy?
- What are some of your achievements?
- How do you think this position plays to your strengths?
- What is the first thing you accomplish on your task list?
- What subjects and topics do you enjoy learning or working with?
- How have you made your achievements happen?
- What are some of your weaknesses?
Strength-Based Interview Tips
Although it may seem as if you cannot prepare for strength-based interviews, you can. By practising and analysing your answers, you will be able to improve your overall interview experience. JobTestPrep has also provided you with several strength-based interview tips, which are sure to help you succeed.
- Be honest – Just as employers want to be sure that you are the right candidate for the job, you want to be sure that this job is compatible to you.
- Answer effectively – Be sure to reference examples, previous work experience, or anecdotes to really showcase your interest in the position and company.
- Do the research – You will still be asked 'normal' interview questions, so be sure you know about the company and job position (roles, responsibilities, and requirements).
- Prepare – Although you do not know what the interviewer is going to ask, prepare for a range of interview questions. Be sure to run through your answers several times as this will ease your nerves if you do get asked a similar question.
- Smile and enjoy – Strength-based interviews are all about what you're good at. Therefore, this is your chance to shine and display your motivation, drive, interest, and mastery in a particular field, so be sure to smile, be energetic, and enjoy the interview.
Prepare for Your Strength-Based Interview
JobTestPrep offers an Interview PrepPack™ which will help you ace your strength-based interview and bring you one step closer to the job you're after. By providing you the tools to pick relevant interview questions and assess your overall interview skills, JobTestPrep affords you the chance to thoroughly improve and highlight your strengths. Start preparing today to ensure your success.