Eversheds Graduate Scheme, SJT and Competency Based Interview Preparation
Are you applying to Eversheds for a training contract, summer internship or experienced hire position? The recruitment process is designed to test you thus assuring Eversheds that you are the person to join their firm. In this article we will go through the recruitment process stage by stage as well as pointing you to the best resources available to help you in your application.
Eversheds graduate recruitment process is competitive and testing. This article covers the graduate recruitment process and the tests it contains as this is the most comprehensive recruitment process. Applicants for other positions will find the information contained within useful as well.
|Practice and explore the SJT online|
The complete guide to situational judgement tests. Including a full-length professional practice test.
The recruitment process contains several stages. You must pass each stage in order to progress to the next stage:
Eversheds Online Application FormThe application form is your way of introducing yourself for the Eversheds graduate recruitment team. The Eversheds form does not contain any open ended questions, those will come further down the recruitment process. Most of the form requests information about academic achievement and work experience, but you are also asked to detail three examples of work experience that are relevant to a career in law and provide four examples of positions of responsibility you have held. The firm are looking for the most relevant and recent examples you have for both questions. Ahead of completing your application form, take a look at our law firm applications blog.
Eversheds are looking for the following qualities in their lawyers:
- Outstanding problem solving skills.
- Proactive mindset.
- Commitment to excellence.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work with others.
- Organised with an eye for detail.
Alongside the application form, you should attach your CV for use during the interview stages later on. Eversheds recommend that your CV be no longer than two pages of A4, which may seem like a challenge if you feel you have a lot to put on there. See how JobTestPrep’s CV builder package can help you create a CV that will put you a step ahead later on in the process.
Eversheds Situational Judgement TestYou must complete a situational judgement test (SJT) alongside the application form. The SJT uses realistic work-based scenarios that deal with a specific issue or problem that you may encounter in your day to day work at Eversheds. You are given four possible solutions, and asked to identify the best solution and the worst solution from the set. The firm are looking for your responses to these questions to give them an indication of your ability to carry out certain tasks, and how you might cope in real life situations. Preparing for the test ahead of taking it enables you to develop your work persona and think about how you will respond in different situations.
See how JobTestPrep can help you revise SJT test here.
Eversheds Telephone InterviewThe Eversheds telephone interview is a relatively new part of the application process. The phone interview lasts approximately 30 minutes and tests your answers against a range of competency and industry related questions. The telephone interview allows you to demonstrate your key skills at an early point in the recruitment process. Eversheds are looking for candidates who have the competencies listed above.
Three types of questions can be asked in the phone interview, questions about your knowledge of the firm, competency questions, and industry related questions.
- Why Eversheds?
- Tell me about a recent news story, what are the implications for Eversheds?
- Tell me about a time when you have to make a difficult decision.
- What skills do you have that would make you a good lawyer?
- Give an example of when you have worked with others to achieve a goal.
- Choose between two industries and identify the main challenges it may face in the future.
- How can Eversheds work closely with its key stakeholders?
Hints and tips for Eversheds interviews:
- Reread your research into the firm ahead of the interview.
- Use this opportunity to convince Eversheds that you are the right person to join them.
- Know about the clients they work for.
- Have a mock interview.
- Reread your application form.
- Think about how you communicate in the interview.
The Telephone interview comes at an early stage in the graduate recruitment process, and is your first opportunity to tell the recruitment team about yourself. Preparation is key for all interviews, especially an interview with as many elements as this one. As well as your research above, you need to prepare for a competency based interview. JobTestPrep’s Skype based interviews can help you gain real time interview practice as well as feedback to help you improve your interview technique.
Eversheds InterviewIf you have passed the telephone interview, you are next invited to an interview at the Eversheds office you applied to. This interview lasts for 45 minutes to an hour, and is a structured interview, based on the information on your application form, CV, and the competencies they are looking for in trainees. Time is included in this interview for you to ask questions of your interviewers.
A lot of the focus of the interview is on commercial and business matters. Some of the past interview questions at Eversheds have included:
- Name two issues that you think are affecting the business world right now.
- How are they affecting Eversheds?
- Which one do you think is the greater issue?
- What makes a business successful?
- Give an example of a business you consider to be successful.
- What does this business need to do to continue its success?
- What advice would you give to a potential competitor?
- How have you researched the firm?
- What would the effect on the economy be if interest rates were increased/ decreased?
- What makes a good trainee? What would make you a good trainee?
It may be some time between interviews with Eversheds. See how JobTestPrep can help you brush up on your interview skills with our interview preparation pack, here.
Free Psychometric TestsFree Situational Judgement
In Tray Exercise Practice
"Your products increased my score a lot in the test."